Thursday 26 July 2012

Happy Rudolph Day!

It's time for another Rudolph Day challenge, but thankfully Sandra says we don't have to make six cards this month (though I could probably do with making six cards).  So in honour of the occasion, I have made a card with Rudolph on it.  In fact, there are two cards with the antlers done in different ways and I'm curious to know which you think looks most realistic.

So here is Rudolph number 1:


Constructed with the owl punch, I started with the main body of the owl and chopped his feet off (poor owl!).  I used two of the circles to make the eyes, instead of the usual three, and used the third and largest circle to make a nose.  Clearly he's been polishing it because it has a shine!  The antlers were made with the branches from the Bird Builder punch.  I like the white embossed background on this card, but I couldn't resist using this paper for Rudolph number 2:


It's like a whole sheet full of Rudolph noses!  This paper, and the die cut circle paper, are from Everyday Enchantment which you can only get until 31st July!  The antlers on this one were made by three rows of owl feet stuck together (poor owl again!).

As for the card design, I followed this week's sketch at Retrosketches as it's been a few weeks since I've made time to join in the fun :)  And as all the Rudolphs were made with snippets, I can play in the playground... head over to Headteacher Di's to check out what everyone else has been up to!


So which do you think looks more like antlers?  Leaves or owl feet?

Supplies
Card: Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, Real Red, Basic Black
Paper: Everyday Enchantment Designer Series Paper
Other: Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Big Shot, Lacey Circle dies (non-SU), white gel pen, Crumb Cake 3/8" taffeta ribbon, Calyspo Coral Organdie Ribbon (free this month with orders of £45 or more), computer sentiment, Crop-a-dile, Owl Punch, Bird Builder Punch

I was tickled by how tidy you think I am at my desk... I craft in my kitchen/dining room so I can't shut the door on the mess and pretend it's not there.  Plus I have to work at my desk as well and I'm not sure how much I'd get done if I left out papers to stroke!  And, oh yes, I did warn you I am a neat freak.

Another literary-based feline today, but not as high-brow as To Kill A Mockingbird!  Enjoy!


Thanks as always for stopping by.  I am chuffed to bits that you spend part of your busy day with me!


23 comments:

  1. Yeay! Hurrah for Rudolph Day ay! Love these Ruddies and spotted the owl punch AGAIN!! That is creeping higher and higher up my Wish List and all because of you! A few weeks ago it wasn't even on there!
    As for the antlers I think they are both brilliant! And I can see why you used that background for the second card! I know Sandra will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely #1 for me......but both are very cute....and tags really work with ikkle Rudolph.
    You know how much I adore all things Christmas?....'course ya do......so, would you believe I have a grandson named Rudolph?....yep.....born the week before Christmas, and his parents named him Lewis Rudolph....poor kid....haaa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tags and a cute kitty pic too he he :) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,i like Rudolph :) but i really like him more with leaves for his antlers(i think he looks a little bit surprised in the second card)-love your background colours too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun card for Christmas well done its lovely and look at your tidy desk ....wow you are so neat Victoria Well done Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. That owl makes a great reindeer! Both lovely cards, but personally I like the leaves as the antlers . . . to me they seem more in proportion.

    Thanks for joining in with my little challenge. Good luck in the draw.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm - I'm waivering over the antlers......I think the owl feet are more realistic but need to be longer! So guess I'd go with the leaves..........as for the embossed background they both look good but liked your comment about all the Rudolph noses! lol. Love the Quidditch kitty.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two fabby cards Victoria, love the simplicity of the design. Love Rudolph. Hugs, Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Rudolph is so adorable! We love Rudolph at our house. I am laughing so much with your Quidditch picture, because my daughter is a huge Harry Potter fan, and she recently found out that her new college has a Quidditch team. She was excited! Crafty hugs dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely the leaves Victoria, I love the papers on the second one.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fab idea of using a punch in a different way, love them both but the 1st one made me think that SU had brought out a reindeer punch it was so realistic. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so fun, Victoria! I've just got to get that owl punch! I think I like the antlers on the first one the best but as long as he's got the nose, he's covered!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Going against the grain and picking #2. Sorry Owl you will just have to keep flying around!! Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your cat pictures!! I love every single one of them. Your card is darling - I love the embossing and I always forget to emboss. Cute kitten and cute card!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable, Rudolph! I don't know if you could tell, but I sat here a moment in silence for little owl with no feet, nor legs, nor legs and feet. Okay, I'm good. I, too, love the leaves as antlers the best, and you didn't ask, per see saw, but I definitely love the second card layout with the circle paper best. Cute as anything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute reindeer Victoria, love both takes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like both of them! I also have to say thank you for the inspiration to find my Rudolph stamp and have a go at this challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hallo - Sandra sent me your way to look at your Rudolph cos I've just ordered the owl punch. Love both Rudolphs...both very cute.The nurse owl is so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well I love both of them hun. Maybe one can be male and the other female with the different antlers!!!. How versatile is that punch getting. Such cute Christmas cards too. Hugs Clare xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love both cards too - very clever! And the kitten is adorable too :) Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't notice the first rudolph was an owl! Very clever.
    Laura
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love them both, you are clever! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. The owl lunch is so versatile isn't it? My fav is your first card but both are fantastic. Good luck in the draw :)

    Decided to follow your blog, your cards are great and l adore your gorgeous cat. TFS

    Big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Have a lovely day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.